Thursday, July 5, 2012

The 4th of July

The 4th of July, one of my favorite holiday's.  Not only because it is a day off for everyone I know, but I love the celebrations in the neighborhoods, the community events, the red, white and blue splendor, and the flag waving, everywhere you go.  It is a tradition that makes me proud;  of my heritage and my country, no matter what state it is currently embroiled in.  The masses come out with pride in our achievements and glory.  I love it!

We have spent the past seven or eight years with friends that have an annual barbecue pot-luck.  Since the kids have flown the coop, we have been spending the day with the host family and their friends and neighbors and each year, it just gets better.  Perhaps the familiarity of spending the time with people we only see twice a year - 4th of July and Super Bowl Sunday - gives me a feeling that things are not changing as much as I think.  The same people come to these events, year after year.  I am always asked to bring a vegetable platter, or a fruit platter, which I never buy pre-made, but make myself.  I select the fruits or vegetables, cut them (blanche what needs blanching) and arrange them on a red platter for the holdiay.  I take pride in ensuring they are beautifully presented since that is my yearly contribution. 

We had a great time with these friends, as we always do.  We are lucky to live where we do, to have the friends we have, and to be able to celebrate a day like the 4th of July in complete freedom.  Long may Old Glory wave.

Love,
S

No comments:

Post a Comment